Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pumpkin Brain


Today I had a special "date day" with lil' Tyler. We didn't do anything *special* per se, except the fact that it was he and I only. We did our typical Saturday fun day filled with the Gym in the morning, jaunt to the mall, lunch and of course lots of yummy snacks along the way.

We are going to the pumpkin festival in Fishhawk tonight. It was so funny to listen to Tyler all day as he was so excited it was literally all he could think about! I don't know how many times he asked me...."mom, are we still going to the pumpkin festival". And of course, each time I nicely answered "of course honey". One rule we have in our home is that when we make a promise we never break it. I did promise we were going to the festival so come rain or shine we'll be there ;) So many times today we talked about God and Jesus. There are so many ways you can bring the love of God into a conversation with a 4 year old - from making wishes in the fountain to explaining why we need to be patient in line or with the numerous drivers that pulled out in front of us today. When God is #1 in your life He helps you manage everything a little easier.

Listening to him talk "pumpkin" all day reminded me of the impact either the right thoughts or bad thoughts can have on your day, your week, your month and your life! It reminded me how important it is to always be close to God. How do you do that? And more importantly how do you do it when you are busier than a one armed wallpaper hanger with one leg, one arm and a one legged ladder? For me it is many things, from endulging myself in His word each morning or night as well as listening to Christian music, praying, teaching my kids about His love for them, or simply being in thought of Him and the sacrifice His son made for me.

When we lef
t the mall I got in my car and plugged in my iPod with one of my favorite songs from Chris Tomlin "God in This City". I was driving thru the parking lot and received a text from a friend telling me of some drama happening on the football field again today, which we all know Satan is enjoying. Since I had "pumpkin and God on the brain" I was able to read the email on blackberry and not get upset, angry or mad but instead feel sad for the folks who are letting Satan get the best of them. Without the strength and peace of God I would probably have responded with thoughts that were similr to theirs. I am so blessed and thankful that is not the case. I am happy that I have the best gift ever as He gave His son for me and for you and we have the gift of eternal life. Through Him ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE. He teaches me every day the gift of patience, hope and most importantly a "Gentle Spirit.

It is so much easier for me to handle all the things that life throws at me when I do my best to live my life as he wants me to live it. He knows I am not perfect but loves me anyway. A long time ago I realized "Good is Good Enough" and as long as I am living my life in His name, doing the best I can and working hard every day to make my "Good of Today" better than the "Good of Yesterday" than that is all he asks for.

Gotta cut this one short. I made a promise to a cute lil' red head guy. Gotta take a shower and be ready to go as soon as he gets up from his nap.

Thank you God for your love and for enabling me to know you are there with me even when there isn't a spare moment in my day. Thank you for putting up with me and helping me to be a better Christian every single day even when I have "pumpkin on the brain". Please help those who don't have "Pumpkin or God on the Brain". I pray they can find You and Your son. Please help me as I cross paths with these people every day. Please give me the words, the love and the patience to be a bright and positive spot in their day regardless of how they may be treating me, my friends or those around them. Thank you for your love and your strength. Amen.

2 comments:

Paula said...

Hope you all a great time at the pumpkin festival. I have the same discussions with my own 4 (soon to be 5) yr old. Thanks for your encouragement and friendship. Love to you!

Sharon said...

Thanks you little punkin' head! I enjoyed that. I see you changed you blog title, you had me all confused. (which isn't hard to do) :o) Love ya!