Monday, November 3, 2008

"Criss-Crossin" Paths...

Why is it in life we always try to build our own path, even though we know God has His own plan and path for us?

Because of my driven, hard headed, and stubborn nature I tend to find myself knocking down trees, going
down the unpaved roads and digging my own ruts as usually the road less traveled has "fewer ruts" ;) I am not sure if this is my sinful thoughts of folks getting in my way or slowing me down or if I feel that sometimes God has me going on too many zig zags or bumpy roads? I think much of this is because I am so driven and would rather just "do" than be slowed down.

However, God shows me time and time again that all paths always lead back to Him and the Cross. You'd think I would learn by now! Sometimes even when I try to stay on His path I find my compass gets out of wack and I somehow end up going down the wrong side of the "y". Maybe it isn't the "wrong" side of the "y" but instead is the "bumpy road" that God wants me on at that time? As on that road he makes me fall down and notice the fellow Christians or unsaved that have fallen on the ground with me.

Proverbs 3:5-6: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

It is on that bumpy road that I always find myself looking up to him for guidance and directions. Maybe he's trying to improve my listening skills for the earlier phase directions - or is it Him training me for the next bumpy road ahead?? I really don't know? What I do know is my greatest learnings of His love have been on these bumpy, roads. It is on these roads that I find myself needing the people who I pushed out of my way or who pushed me to my "rut-free" road.

Josh and I moved to Florida 2.5 yrs ago. It was by the Grace of God we made it here. We lost of a ton of money in real estate in Colorado and God provided just enough for us to safely move to Florida and be financially able to kick-off a great new chapter of our life. He immediately led us to Fishhawk Fellowship Church and many wonderful people along the way. There were folks we met briefly at Church, Cherry's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Park Square among other places. Regardless of where we met them, they all touched our hearts and all led to a later conversation of "wow, I really liked those folks we met today... we really need to do something with them". But unfortunately we let "life" and the "un-rut road" get in the way and few of them we actually followed thru with a dinner or night together.

Proverbs16:9: The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.

Lastnight we closed off the Wolfpack Football season with a year end celebration. We had many volunteer challenges with the season and I did not want to impede on the lives of our already worn out and tired Wolfpack volunteers. I wanted them to have a night they could enjoy with their family, volunteer hour free! Given FFCs new mission of "Building Bridges that Connect People to a Passionate Life in Christ" and the loving and giving hearts of the membership they "humbly served" and provided ALL volunteers for lastnights event.

Of course, God challenged them with the word "humble" and they shined like rockstars! It DUMPED rain lastnight, all night! Many of them stood in the rain while they managed bouncy castles, tootsie pop games and Kanga Toss! The amazing thing is they did it all with a smile and patience. Even soaken wet, no dinner and a late night they served with the patience and Love of God shining thru them. I am sure our Lord above was smiling down at them the entire evening.

During our closing ceremony it hit me as I listened to Buddy Bass speak. There I was on the football field that I so wondered all season why God had put me there. And again he provided yet one more answer. On that field lastnight were NUMEROUS folks including Buddy Bass that God had placed in my life more than 2 yrs ago. I know God placed them and others on that field and in my life yesterday and this past week as a gentle reminder that all paths always lead back to Him.

These were the people
I met at Park Square, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cherry's, Church and now even adult Bible Club. Some of them he even crossed our paths several times but we still ignored. They were the folks that I said I wanted to spend time with but yet didn't take the time to do so and yet they were all there helping me with open arms and loving hearts!!! I have talked about wanting to help Buddy Bass and his mission for 2 years since I first heard about it yet never did anything about it.

It was heart wrenching to see the FFC helping me personally by taking on the volunteer needs of the evening, yet I know i could have done more for or with them the past couple of years. He reminded me so clearly that all paths lead back to Him. Each one of them lastnight had a criss-cross path back to FFC.

I felt so safe on the freezing cold and dark football field knowing it was Father who placed me there and had offered me a Family in Christ at Fishhawk Fellowship Church from the first week I moved here. There is no better family and I am so blessed and thankful to have the people of FFC in my life.

We need to be perceptive of the people God places on our paths and most importantly take the time to have personal relationships regardless of how busy we are. It is thru those authentic relationships, humble service, and fervent prayer that we connect with Christ ourselves as well as help build bridges that connect others to Christ.

I learned so much on my "wolfpack path" about God's love, His path for me and that even with 2 kids, a full time job, no time for showers (that one's for you Sharon) that I can serve in such a greater way than I ever imagined. I know I am yet to see all the reasons I was placed on the "wolfpack path" and many will probably not be known for years to come as God always shares in His own time and in His own way. Imagine if I now put the same amount of hours into serving via my Church that I did in Wolfpack what the next path will bring!?? I can not imagine. As excited as I am and ready to go off building my own path so I can get there FASTER - I have to slooooowwww down and let him guide me as hard as it may be.


I am so thankful for those paths that crossed at Park Square, Church, Cherry's and BW3. It is these people who I need in my life and need not take for granted. I apologize to all of you whom I have told you for 2 years "we need to get together" and not acted. I promise to be a better friend, cousin, daughter and wife and will work harder to take the time for you, your needs and our friendship more than I ever have. You are the gems of my life and I will love and cherish you forever!
ECCLESIASTES 10-12: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has
no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm
alone?
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not
quickly broken.

Thank you God for your patience with me when I trudge down my own path. Please help me remove the blinders when you place these gems in my path or on the side of my path. Please help me take the time to slow down and notice them, love them and care for them. Thank you for your blessings, your love and your guidance on whatever path I am headed next. With Wolfpack ending I am once again handing you back the keys! I hope that you keep a tight grip on them and ignore me when I beg for them back!!! Amen.

3 comments:

Pam said...

You are an inspiration!

Sharon said...

That was really good! Trish shared something similar at Bible Study this morning. I have learned to actually "set a date" rather than just "intending" to get together with people. For instance, I am looking forward to going to the Third Day concert with you! Just make sure you take a shower first!! :o) Love you!

Paula said...

Pam - thank you so much for taking on such a major task of ministering to my family!! You and your family are soooo sweet! I remember you all from when you first moved here. I'm as guilty as the next girl of putting off getting together. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. Love to you though and for all that you are as my friend.
PS -- thanks for showering -- Jay and I will be at the conert too but that doesn't count as our getting together.=-)~