
I think the best thing about the internet and social networking is that it instills social responsibility - you are who you are. When my sons are old enough I will probably let them have a facebook account just for that reason (as long as I have full access to it) .
As I connect with old pals it is such a reminder that God loved me back in the college days as much as he does now. When I look back on the years I can see how much I have grown in my faith, my relationship with Christ and my dependency on him. As I look back thru old pics in the sorority, with roommates I am reminded of how vulnerable we are at such a young age - thrown into college without supervision and for those of us without parents who are involved left to figure out the big world all by yourself. We were all just wanting to be accepted and loved. Had I known then what I know now would I have done things differently - well that is a definite!! Hoewever, it was those crazy days that made me who I am, good or bad. It was the late nights out with girlfriends at Taco Bell that gave me the best friends I am connected to on facebook today and haven't seen for years but can still hear their laugh, their cry and their loving arms around me like it was yesterday. It was the crazy night at Fort Ram after I returned from working at summer camp that I met my husband. My girlfriends knew that night when he laid eyes on me and me on him that it "was over"...I was a gonner and I had found the man I would marry. So, had I not been such a lost soul, trying to figure out life in college with my friends...would I have met my perfect lil' hubby and soul mate? Only God knows. What I do know is He had a plan for me and him.
Psalms 32:8I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.
I think often times we take our friends for granted. We get busy and let life get in the way. We don't call as often, don't write, don't email and don't send flair on facebook. We must cherish the people that come in our life. Regardless if they are just like us or different, they crossed our path for a reason and it is up to us what we do with the opportunity. Friends can not be duplicted or replaced. It is those true authentic friends that will be there for you tonight at 2 am or 20 years from now. Genesis 31:49 May the Lord keep watch between you and me when we are away from each other.
Gods love is much the same. We often times take it for granted as we think "I am busy this week God... I don't have time for my quiet time....don't have time for devotional.... etc. etc..." The older I get it is these weeks that I yearn for God's word, love and time with Him even more. I had one of those crazy busy wks on biz travel in California this week. Although I prayed regularly, listened to my Christian music daily it still wasn't the same as being at home surrounded by my loving Christian family and friends. It reminded me how blessed I am and how dependent I have become on Him. I felt so empty in the hotel room each night, felt sorry for the folks in the office who's life is 100% consumed by the work of corporate projects, presentations, plans and strategies. So many people lose sight of what really matters in life. I know it is God that keeps me grounded and is His son who helps me stay on the path of following God's will for me.
I know God loved me just as much back in college as He does today. Thank goodness that He helped me see there was more to life than what those college dorms and sorority halls provided. However, I wouldn't trade those days for anything. It was those experiences where I learned the real me, learned what I wanted to be and of His love for me. Though back in those days I came to Him more for the bad, when I didn't study enough for a test, wanted a boy to call me or wished I could go on vacay with the rest of the gang.
"If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, "move from here to there" and it will mve. Nothing will be impossible for you. Matthew 17:20
I use to keep working harder and harder at school, at work, in the sorority and with friends to fill that empty hole. I didn't go to him w/the good, with the thankfulness like I do now. It's funny that the older I get the more I want to be with Him for the GOOD. I of course share the bad w/Him too but it is when I am coming to Him as ME and searching my soul for how I can best follow His path, serve Him, serve our community and be a better Christian that I am closest to Him. Back in the college days I wouldn't have even known how to have these conversations. I would have been selfish asking for something I wanted that day, that week or that month....wouldn't have ever thought I would in 15 years be at a Christian concert and have it be the best of my life.
I have come to realize that it is not the sticks, blocks or paint of the house that matter. It is the foundation, the ROCK of which you build your family and your life - our God. Because with him we are renewed. With God All things are possible. He is my warmth, my blanket, my food, my light, my love and my ROCK. Psalm 18:2The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn on my salvation, my stronghold.
Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me.
As I look back on my life I am simply thankful. Thankful of my experiences.
Thankful of my friends. Thankful of my family. Thankful I found Jesus. I can not imagine my life without Him. I would not want to see where I would be or would not be without Him.
Thankful of my friends. Thankful of my family. Thankful I found Jesus. I can not imagine my life without Him. I would not want to see where I would be or would not be without Him.
Dear God, thank you for loving me just the way I am. Thank you for being patient with me as I continue to grow in your arms. Please help me continue to learn from life experiences and keep you at the center of our family and our life. Please help my children come to know you better now, tomorrow, next week and for the rest of their life. For it is not college tests nor social acceptance that matters. What matters is that thru your love and your Son we have eternal life. Thank you for your love and your wisdom in my life. Amen.
John 6:47 I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.

No comments:
Post a Comment