Sunday, December 28, 2008

Jesus Deserves an "All Year Round" Shelf!

As we pack away our Christmas "stuff" later this week we need to hold on to the magic of Christmas - the warmth we felt, the love we received and the remembrance of the greatest gift of all from our Father.

Christmas is such a special time and I hear people say all the time "I wish it could last forever". My question is why can't it? Jesus doesn't have to go in the box with the Christmas decorations. He wasn't packed away in the stocking that we take out each year. Jesus lives in our heart and is there for us each step of the way as we enter 2009.

He is the absolute greatest gift we received and the best news is he won't tarnish or melt like the ca
ndles that got stored last year in the garage. He is just as beautiful and perfect today as he was the day God sent him to die for me. He was here for me last year, this year and will be here for me every single day of my life. He is not just a baby in the manger. He is my savior, my rock and my ticket to an eternal life with God.

He deserves a spot on that special shelf that you keep dusted, right in sight of everyone who walks in your front door to see! I find that the older I get with each passing year I look at where I have been, what I have accomplished and where I am headed with much more attention to detail. I try to spend more time on where I am headed as that is the only part I can change, however with a balance of learning from where I have been. Without the experiences I wouldn't be who I am today.

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace. Ephesians 1:7

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:17


As for New Years Resolutions -- I take them seriously. Therefore, what my 2009 resolutions will be I am still praying about. I know that God will guide me toward the right decision. I know mine can't be as simple this year as "I want to grow in my faith". I know that I need to get very specific for how I need to grow in my relationship with Christ and also how he wants me to serve Him.

For now I can look back at the past 12 months with Thankfulness of the experiences, my friends, my family and for the miracles I have seen God working in my life and in those around me. I am so thankful for God, Jesus, my life, my family, our ch
urch, our Pastor, my 2 am friends, and the millions of other folks who put up with me throughout the year! I am so blessed with so many wonderful people around me who are such an inspiration to me each and every day.

My walk with Jesus in 2008 was
simply wonderful. Looking back to 12 months ago I would have never guessed I would be working where I am working, living where I am living, serving how I am serving nor a million other things - like planning a Christian Outreach concert in park square in less than 3 months! Yet, when I follow God's path he takes me out of my *comfort box*, helps me grow spiritually, helps me serve in amazing ways and uses me in ways I never thought possible.

In 2008 I did my best despite how difficult it was at times to give God the keys and let him take control. I relied on Him even more than I had done in past years. He was my light, my breath and my strength each and every day. Although we wound up on some bumpy roads, job changes, and many unwanted sleepless nights due to a demanding new job and boss - with each bump he was there to pick me up and help me move on to the next chapter.

In 2008 God helped me take off the masks, let down my guard and open my heart and my life to those who care enough to support me each and every day. Looking back I think that was the top thing that helped me grow in my relationship with Him this year, was letting my 2 am friends *in* on the real me, the one who cries, doesn't do laundry, forgets important things and yells at her cute lil' hubby sometimes.

Just as I have posted in my blog earlier this year, when you let your 2 am friends "in" you have no choice but to take down the mask, let them see the real, stinky "y
ou" and just hope they love you anyway. The true 2 am friends do. Had I not been humble enough to do such I don't think I would have ever had the ability to see inside myself as deep as I did. Opening your eyes to the truth helps you humble yourself for God and let Jesus even deeper inside your heart. Jesus can't truly guide me unless I let him *in*, and I mean really *in*. I found that the more I let him *in* the more I yearn for God's love, strength, courage, words and most importantly His son, Jesus.

It's the difference between giving God the master key or just the key to everything but the closet and the laundry room. I am still working on the *master key* thing and maybe 2009 will be the year for that and my New Years Resolution? As I think I often give him the house key but still have a room or 2 hidden upstairs. Imagine how we can grow in our relationship with Him, the changes that could happen in our lives and the impact we could make in our communities and for those around us if we truly handed God the MASTER KEY that never tarnished, got destroyed and worked forever and ever!? I am certain it would be simply beautiful.

Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit. Jeremiah 17:5-8




The most beautiful times in my life have been when God has had full access to the Master key. Yet, I think as humans and sinners we have the tendancy to grab it back when work calls, kid projects start, laundry piles up and the stress and demands of every day life get the best of us. We think..."okay God, give me the key back...just for today as I don't have time to read the Bible like I should, can't let you in to the grouchy stinky me today as you won't like it". Yet, today turns into tomorrow, next week and then a month. Before we know it God has been locked out w/out a Master key for way too long!

That is why we need Jesus on our special shelf all year long. He is our guide and our strength even during the crazy busy, grumpy grouchy times. He wants all of us - the good the bad and the ugly. When we let Jesus have a permanent seat in our hearts and by our side he can help us when we struggle at grabbing the master key back from God.

I know for me it is the times when I am closest to Jesus that it is easier to leave the Master key with God regardless of what is going on in my life. I know that through Jesus I grow closer to God and the closer I am to God the more I can do to bring Him glory as well as let him control my days, my nights and my life!


Funny how this blogging thing works. You start out with a confused thought and by the time you are done you've practically written a New Years Resolution you were still struggling with less than 20 minutes ago. I will continue to pray and know God will lead me toward the right answers as to how I can best lead a life with Christ and God with the master key in 2009.

For now I know Jesus is beside me helping me write each word, helping me through the confused thoughts as I try to put the 2009 path together. Yet, all along I think he is saying...."hey.... quit trying to figure it out.... let me guide you...give my Father the master key and we'll call it done."


Dear Lord - thank you for the many blessings, experiences and ways in which you have helped me grow closer to you this year. Please continue to help me trust in you even when things get crazy and I think I know better than you. Please be with my family, my friends as we head into 2009. Please help us make the decisions that bring you glory, bring you closer to us and enable you to guide our every thought, decision and action. Please wrap your loving arms around my husband, my children, my friends, my family and me as we move into another year. Please let those around me know how much I appr
eciate them, love them and cherish their friendship. Please Jesus, take a center and permanent seat in my heart and on the special year round shelf! Amen.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hey girl, you are putting me to blogging shame! I really need to write something. That was really good girlfriend, just what I needed to read. Thanks! You are such an inspiration to me. Hugs,