Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's Not about the cookies, decorations or even the Tree!!

A couple weeks ago during Sunday service our Pastor reminded us that Christmas was not about the perfect decorations, the perfect desserts, presents or Tree. It's funny how even though every year we try so hard to let the real meaning of Christmas shine thru in our hearts and actions - we still struggle with not going crazy on the shopping, the cooking, the decorating and the list goes on and on.


I heard our Pastor's message that day loud and clear and took the rest of the afternoon with my family versus doing the million other things I thought I needed to do before I entered the Church walls that day. However, once I got to work the next day life became crazy once again. Given the pressures of the tight economy and the fear of always losing our jobs and double that with a very demanding boss and the daily expectations of life it is easy to get distracted. Time has went so fast the past 2 wks due to a million things going on with the kiddos, 7 different Christmas concerts, school parties, adult parties, family coming to town, 2 kids sick and of course the decorating and the shopping.


Well... I had done everything that had a time deadline attached EXCEPT for finished the shopping, decorating and cooking. We had family arrive this past Friday and I thought "Okay, I am still good as I can spend the weekend with them and then bust it on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to unpack the rest of the decorations, cook some yummy desserts and of course do the final shopping.

Well... as you can guess... our God had a different plan for me. Since he knows bad habits are hard to break... and he saw me with just enough days to of course over spend, over cook and maybe even over decorate... he changed my plans drastically! I got the flu late Sunday afternoon. At first I thought I just had a sinus infection, but it turned very quickly to the flu and I was down for a good 3 days and finally just gettin' into the swing of things tonight.


So, what did this do to my Christmas preparation plans. Truth is, nothing. What did I really need to prepare for Jesus? He doesn't care about my tree or the millions of undone "things" that we call "getting ready for Christmas". He didn't even care that I didn't bake the nice desserts I had planned. In all reality He is probably happy as tomorrow I sure don't have enough time to do it all and will probably spend more time ensuring my children are understanding and experiencing the real joy of Christmas.

Why will he be happy that I won't be spending my entire day cooking, shopping, or decorating? Because I can focus on giving him ME! What is it that he wants? That also is easy... he wants you and he wants me! He wants a relationship with each of us, to care for us, to embrace us, to hold us and know us intimately. He wants us to love Him and thru Him know His father!

He wants us to know that thru him we are offered hope and a relationship with God. God is always with us each and every step of the way. We must focus on Jesus and trust in Him to guide us. Imagine how Mary felt when she learned from the Angel that she as a virgin was going to give birth to Jesus. She had to be so afraid, yet when she heard the news she trusted and said “Truly I am the Lord's servant. Let everything you have said happen to me.” Luke 1:38


But how can he want so little and be happy with just me when he sacrificed himself so that I can be forgiven for my sins and have eternal life? The answer is we can't do any less than to completely give Jesus ourselves? Give yourself fully to Jesus. He wants us to serve God above all else. It’s what He really wants for Christmas.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only son..." John 3:16

When time runs short, forget the cookies and the tree...get out your bible, give Him your heart, and get on your knees! Thank God for the greatest gift of all. You don't need to go to the store to give your best friend, Jesus a gift. Simply open your home, your heart and commit your life to Him. There is no greater gift.

So those of you who are coming to my house tomorrow for Christmas Eve I am not going to apologize I don't have a table full of fancy food. What I will offer you is myself, my family, our love and the love of Jesus and our God above! We look forward to celebrating with you the Gift of Jesus and the love He provides when we trust in Him as our Saviour. And just in case you get hungry I'll have some Honey Baked Ham sandwiches and a Pillsbury cake out of a box so we can sing Happy Birthday Jesus!!

Thank you God for always knowing what is best for me. Although being sick the past few days would still not be my first choice I do thank you for making me once again take a step back, forcing me onto your path and at your pace so I can take time to think of you and remember the sacrifice you made for me. Please help my children, family and friends experience the true meaning of Christmas this season. Please wrap us in your Holy love as we celebrate the birth of your Son Jesus and the Gift of eternal life we receive through Him. Please keep us focused on our Savior and your love and may our actions, words and time be spent where you desire. Thank you for the greatest gift of all. Amen.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hi Pammie! I think we all had a very hectic Christmas. I took the same approach as you. I was very minimalistic this year but had the best Christmas ever. Thank you for having such a sweet loving spirit. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hugs!