God wants us to rely on one another. He wants us to have authentic, caring, loving relationships with other Christians just as Jesus did. He wants us to be there for one another thru the good and the bad. He wants us to take off our masks, let our guard down and admit that we are sinners, we are not perfect and that we need the support of our friends to get thru life and continue on God's chosen path for us.
He wants us to admit we get behind on laundry, we sometimes yell at our kids and husbands and that we make mistakes. He wants us to share with each other more than the "bad hair day" and be secure enough in our relationships that we can share the fact that we had a bad week or that someone made us sad or even mad, that we honked out of anger on Fishhawk Blvd, that we didn't take the trash can in even though we knew the trash man already came, or that we don't have enough money for a financial family need or whatever it may be that is bothering us that day.
It was easy for me to answer the question of the 2:00 am friends. I am blessed that I do have a few 2:00 am friends. I can count on one hand the ones that are the super special, tell them anything and "know they'll still love me" friends. I consider these the true gems of my life and if they're reading this, they know who they are and I love them more than words can describe.
Ever since Pastor David started teaching us about the importance of Authentic relationships it has forced me to examine the friend I am and the friend I let people be to me. Through God's love I am learning to take off my "happy masks" more than I have before, not be afraid to cry on a shoulder of a friend and let my friends know me for who I really am... a girl that just wants to feel loved, cared for and accepted - a girl that definitely isn't perfect and even though you see me smile 99% of the time I cry too!
It is my 2:00 am friends that see it the most and who pick me up, put me back on the path and carry me thru the sad days, laugh with me during the happy days and celebrate with me as we together walk with Jesus. For they are the reason you see me smile 99% of the time. As when you have an authentic friend you stand up faster, your tears are wiped away and you are quickly again back on the path and they'll be there even if you fall down again in 5 steps later!
It is on God's chosen path that I have found the 2:00 am and best friends of my life. Friends that love me for who I am, no matter how stinky, how grumpy I may be or the million other things that are quirky, weird or insecure about me. They love me for me just as God does.
God accepts us just as we are. He gave us the greatest Gift in His son and leaves it up to us if we want to accept the gift, His love and the blessing of eternal life. WOW, what a friend we have in Him. When we let Him be our guide, follow his path there are so many gems along the way that you would never find other wise.
When you follow Him you look at yourself more closely. On His path you have to "Get Real" with yourself, your friends, your family and most importantly with Him.
When you "Get Real" with God you will NEED your 2:00 am friends as you can no longer hide behind the masks, avoid the pit holes in the road, jump over the obstacles and the truths of your life that have forced you to jump off the path. You must deal with them head on and you see yourself in true colors. It is the 2:00 am friends who help me shine my best colors, my happy smile and who help me make it thru each day with the hope and trust in God.
Lastnight I attended a concert with 2 of my dear 2:00 am friends. It was by far the best concert I have ever been to! To stand beside these 2 women of faith, worshipping our Lord for 4+ hours, with arms around each other, hands in the air, giggles in the ears, speakers on top of us, and the presence of His loving arms wrapped around us - no wonder the 3rd row was a ROCKIN'! We didn't need any boys, any drinks, any masks or any walls. We had each other and authentic friendships built upon truth, compassion, and God's love. There is no better friendship than that which is built on this.
If you don't have 2:00 am friends, that is okay - you can and you will! Take off your mask, break down your wall and open your Bible, open your heart. For only He can bless us with the 2:00 am friends who we worship, cry, laugh, dance, sing, giggle and love God with! 
Thank you to my 2:00 am, 3:00 am, and 5:00 am friends. Thank you for loving me just as I am, and for helping me in my walk with Him. Thank you for the long and short talks, the smiles, the hugs, the laughs, the ROCKIN' concerts, the late night and early morning phone calls, the worship times of both happy and sad tears, meeting me at park square on a moments notice to wipe my tears, the Wolfpack moments, the scripture of inspiration, picking me up and helping me grow spiritually every single day. Most importantly thank you for also sharing yourself with me! I pray that I can be as much a friend and inspiration that you are to me each day.
And to those of you whom you would be there for me at 2:00 am, but I don' tknow it yet or haven't let you in, on the stinky, crazy, insecure me - I will (but be careful what you ask for - ha!) God has crossed our paths for a reason and that is to live our lives in His name, for His glory and to help one another in this crazy lil 'thing called life. I can't wait to get to know you, love you, hug you, wipe your tears and most importantly let you wipe mine. I know for me it's easier to wipe someone elses tears than it is to let someone wipe mine. I have thrown out my Kleenex and am now leaving it to my 2:00 am friends. Thank you Sista's.... your box is waitin' here too!
ECCLESIASTES 10-12: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warmalone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
Dear Father - thank you for my 2:00 am friends. Thank you for helping me let down my walls, take off my masks and let my friends into my house, my laundry room, my life, my head and my heart. Thank you for your truth, your love and your loving arms. You are with me all the time and know me better than anyone knows me. Please help me continue to build, nurther these authentic friendships for there is nothing better than a 2:00 friend who loves you like you love me. I know there is no love stronger than your love for me but my 2:00 am friends are coming pretty darn close. Please help me in making them feel as loved and close to you as they have made me feel. Amen.
In All Things...Praise the Lord!
13 years ago

1 comment:
Wow that was really sweet! What did I ever do to deserve a friend that loves me when I have done so little to deserve it. I look forward to getting to know you better in the months and years to come. Thanks for letting me in, it means more than you know. You are loved Pammie!
Post a Comment